Get Smart About Your Pet
At Cats & Critters, we believe in taking a comprehensive approach to caring for your pet. Integral to this is keeping pet owners educated and informed. That’s why we’ve compiled the following list of resources:
Common Disease Resources
Feline kidney disease:
American Association of Feline Practitioners
- From parasite prevention to senior pet care, the AAFP covers a range of topics about caring for your cat.
- They also provide a list of common feline diseases and conditions.
- If you’re stressed about bringing your cat to the veterinarian, check out this guide.
- We use many of the brochures found on the AAFP website as well.
Cornell University Feline Health Center
- This site houses a library of information about various feline health topics.
- They also offer a collection of informational brochures to help owners better care for and understand their pets.
The Ohio State University: College of Veterinary Medicine
This organization aims to connect and collaborate to advance the health, welfare, and value of companion cats.
- The CATegorical Care Guide helps owners achieve the best possible health and welfare outcomes for their pets.
- They also provide educational videos to inform and foster healthy habits.
This program is designed by Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. in collaboration with the American Association of Feline Practitioners and the American Animal Hospital Association. Its purpose is to educate cat owners about the importance of regular veterinary care.
Feliway is a synthetic pheromone that can be used to address feline stress, aggression, and inappropriate elimination. This website offers specific information about cat stress and behavior.
Find information about cat shows, different feline breeds, healthcare tips, and a showcase of top winning cats.
General Pet Sites
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is dedicated to preventing animal cruelty and raising awareness about specific welfare issues. Their Animal Poison Control Center is a great resource for any owner and is highly informative.
The Humane Society of the United States promotes the protection of all animals. Their website offers wonderful animal-related stories and valuable information about pet care, adoption, and animal welfare issues.
The Companion Animal Parasite Council provides information and support about parasite control and related diseases.
Visit Pet Partners to learn more about the benefits of the human-animal connection.
Check out Petfinder if you want to adopt a pet or if you’re looking for a lost pet.
If you’re unsure or confused about pet insurance, Pet Insurance University allows you to research and compare policies to find the right one that meets your needs.
Pet Loss Information
The following sites provide support and information to cope with the loss of a beloved pet.
- University of Florida Small Animal Hospital
- Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline
Traveling With Your Pet
Please visit the websites below if you plan on traveling with your pet.